We are pleased to confirm that ECFMG|FAIMER programs and services continue to operate. Our staff members are working to process your applications and service requests, and our representatives are answering phone and e-mail inquiries as quickly as possible.
Physicians who use our programs and services should continue to submit applications and other service requests as they would normally. This will help ensure sufficient processing time and your readiness for next steps, as they become available, in pursuing ECFMG Certification, J-1 visa sponsorship (if applicable), and U.S. graduate medical education (GME).
ECFMG continues to process Applications for ECFMG Certification and applications for the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) step components required for Certification, and to verify medical education credentials.
- USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK): Prometric test centers around the world are open or are beginning to reopen. We are aware that Prometric has provided inaccurate information about the status of some of its test centers, causing confusion and additional difficulties for some examinees. The leadership of the USMLE program and ECFMG are in daily contact with Prometric to ensure an immediate resolution to this situation. More >>
- USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS): Work is underway to formalize a plan to resume USMLE Step 2 CS testing, and applicants with canceled testing appointments are receiving regular e-mail updates.
- We continue to verify medical education credentials with international medical schools, although there are some pockets of service disruptions. To support institutions that are working remotely, ECFMG is leveraging electronic communications to stay connected, facilitate the verification process, and minimize disruption of services for our applicants.
- Applicants seeking an ECFMG Certificate to begin U.S. GME programs in summer 2020 should expect their certificate to be issued in time to start their programs. ECFMG has been in contact with medical schools to ensure that individuals who meet ECFMG Certification requirements will be issued an ECFMG Certificate.
ECFMG Exchange Visitor (J-1 Visa) Sponsorship
ECFMG is actively processing applications for J-1 visa sponsorship for participation in U.S. GME programs that begin in summer 2020.
- U.S. embassies and consulates worldwide have resumed processing of applications and visa appointments for medical professionals, including the J-1 Visa. More >>
- The U.S. Department of State has provided additional flexibility regarding the Statement of Need letter for J-1 Visa sponsorship. More >>
- President Trump’s Presidential Proclamation issued on April 22, 2020 does not affect physicians or their dependents who are on or applying for J-1 Visa sponsorship. More >>
- Applicants who experience challenges during the application process should contact the Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Department at EVSPemail@example.com or +215-823-2121 for assistance.