Detailed information on the Pathways for ECFMG® Certification for the 2023 Match is now available on the ECFMG website. The 2023 Pathways are for international medical graduates (IMGs) who need to meet the clinical and communication skills requirements for ECFMG Certification and who plan to participate in the 2023 National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP®) Main Residency Match® (The Match®). The information available on ECFMG’s website includes:
- Updated eligibility requirements for individual Pathways;
- Detailed application information and instructions for each Pathway, including information on required documentation and application timing;
- Important information for 2021 and 2022 Pathways applicants;
- Information for medical schools whose students and/or recent graduates will be applying to Pathway 2, 3, 4, or 5;
- Information for physician evaluators for Pathway 6;
- Information on the assessment of communication skills, including updated passing requirement for the Occupational English Test (OET) Medicine for 2023 Pathways applicants (see below).
To access the updated information, visit Requirements for ECFMG Certification for 2023 Match.
The on-line application for the 2023 Pathways is expected to become available in the second quarter of 2022.
Updated Passing Requirement for OET
Applicants who pursue one of the Pathways are required to attain a satisfactory score on OET Medicine to meet the communication skills requirement for ECFMG Certification. All Pathways applicants, regardless of citizenship or native language, must satisfy this requirement.
For the 2023 Pathways, to meet ECFMG’s communication skills requirement:
- Applicants who take OET Medicine before April 1, 2022 must attain a minimum score of 350 on each of the four measured sub-tests of OET Medicine (Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking) in one test administration.
- Applicants who take OET Medicine on or after April 1, 2022 must attain a minimum score of 350 on the Listening, Reading, and Speaking sub-tests, and a minimum score of 300 on the Writing sub-test, in one test administration.
For the 2023 Pathways, applicants must attain a satisfactory score on OET Medicine, as described above, on a test taken on or after January 1, 2021.