Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (EVSP)


The ECFMG|FAIMER Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (EVSP) continues to provide its services and communicate to relevant stakeholders about new immigration or COVID-19 issues that impact exchange visitor physicians. Review previous COVID-19 communications here. ECFMG|FAIMER remains dedicated to supporting training programs and foreign national physicians through this challenging time.

Applying for Sponsorship

General Requirements

Statement of Need

U.S. Public Law 94-484, effective January 10, 1978, requires that J-1 physician applicants provide a letter of need from the Ministry of Health of the country of most recent legal permanent residence. Such a letter must provide written assurance, satisfactory to the Secretary of the United States Department of Health and Human Services, that there is a need in that country for persons with the skills the alien physician seeks to acquire.

If the applicant is a permanent resident of a country other than that of citizenship, the Statement of Need (SoN) must come from the Ministry of Health of the country of most recent legal permanent residence.

In cases in which a new or updated SoN is required, an original, official SoN issued directly from the Ministry of Health in the country of most recent legal permanent residence must be submitted directly to ECFMG. SoN letters can be submitted EITHER by mail/courier service OR electronically as described below.

Regardless of submission method, per the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), all SoNs must:

Requirements for Submitting an SoN by Mail/Courier Service

Requirements for Submitting an SoN Electronically

Any SoN that does not meet all of the above-specified requirements will not be accepted. If the original SoN is not issued in English, the Ministry of Health may provide a copy of the SoN to the applicant for the purpose of obtaining an English translation. The certified English translation may either be submitted in the sealed envelope with the original SoN, electronically by e-mail to, or it may be submitted to ECFMG separately. Both the original SoN and a certified English translation, if applicable, are required as part of the application.

Statement of Need Instructions for Ministry of Health Officials

Back to top