The Frequently Asked Questions below address some common issues applicants may encounter during the MyERAS application process.
The AAMC has developed a series of resources on using MyERAS. To access this information, visit Applying to Residencies with ERAS® on the AAMC website.
1. How can I submit supporting documents to ECFMG?
All supporting documents are submitted electronically for your MyERAS application. For detailed instructions, please visit Document Submission.
2. How do I track the status of my documents?
To track the status of your documents, log in to MyERAS and go to the Additional Documents page. Visit the Letters of Recommendation (LoR) page in MyERAS to track the status of your LoRs.
3. Can I obtain copies of my documents that were submitted to ERAS Support Services at ECFMG?
No. ERAS Support Services at ECFMG does not provide copies of documents it receives. You will need to obtain copies of those documents from their original sources.
4. How long do documents take to process?
Documents will take up to five business days to process once submitted.
5. Is a “Dean’s letter” acceptable as a Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)?
Yes. MSPE has replaced the term “Dean’s letter” to better describe the purpose of this document, which is to evaluate the performance of the medical student. ERAS Support Services will accept a “Dean’s letter” from your medical school, but we strongly encourage medical schools to provide an MSPE that follows the MSPE guidelines detailed in the AAMC’s Recommendations for Revising the MSPE .
6. Can I request that ERAS Support Services at ECFMG expedite processing of my supporting documents?
No. ERAS Support Services at ECFMG does not expedite the processing of supporting documents. We process supporting documents within five business days. If there is a discrepancy with your document, you will receive a notification through the MyERAS message center.
7. Does ECFMG automatically transfer my medical school transcript into my MyERAS application?
No. However, if you have a copy of your medical school transcript, you may upload it yourself using ECFMG’s OASIS. If your medical school participates in the ECFMG Medical School Web Portal (EMSWP) ERAS program, you will need to contact your medical school to submit this document via EMSWP ERAS on your behalf.
If your medical school does not participate in EMSWP ERAS, and you are unable to secure a medical school transcript, you may request, through the ERAS Support Services section of OASIS, to have a copy of your medical school transcript that was submitted for ECFMG Certification purposes transferred to your MyERAS application.
8. Are official student copies of my MSPE and medical school transcript acceptable?
Yes. If you have official student copies of your MSPE and medical school transcript, you may upload them yourself via ECFMG’s OASIS. If your medical school participates in the EMSWP ERAS program, you will need to contact your medical school to submit these documents via EMSWP ERAS on your behalf.
9. Does my medical school participate in the EMSWP ERAS program?
To find out if your school participates in EMSWP ERAS, contact the Dean’s office of your medical school.
10. How do I reuse my documents if I applied last ERAS season?
For instructions on reusing LoRs and other documents, please visit Reusing Documents.
Back to top
1. I have only passed one USMLE Step or Step Component. Can I still apply to programs via ERAS?
Yes. However, to participate in the Match, NRMP requires that you have met the examination requirements for ECFMG Certification, and that your passing examination results and satisfactory completion of these requirements are available by the NRMP Rank Order List (ROL) Certification deadline. For the examination requirements for ECFMG Certification, refer to the ECFMG Information Booklet. For results reporting turnaround times for USMLE, refer to the USMLE Bulletin of Information .
2. How long does it take to process my MyERAS request for a USMLE transcript?
It takes one to two business days from the time you assign the transcript to a program and apply for your transcript to be processed. Be sure to assign it to the programs that you would like to receive it.
Back to top
1. Am I automatically registered with the NRMP when I register with ERAS?
No. You must also register with the NRMP to participate in the Match process. You can register at www.nrmp.org beginning on September 15.
Programs may require that certain exam results be available before they invite an applicant for an interview. It is your responsibility to research or contact your programs of interest to learn their specific requirements.
2. What is the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®)?
The NRMP’s SOAP allows eligible applicants who did not obtain a residency position in the Main Residency Match to apply for available positions that were not filled in the Match. SOAP takes place during Match Week. For detailed information on SOAP, including eligibility requirements and schedule, visit the NRMP website .
For additional SOAP resources, including an applicant checklist and instructions on how to apply and reapply to programs during SOAP, please monitor the AAMC’s ERAS website as Match Week approaches.
Back to top
1. Why aren’t my letter writers listed in MyERAS?
Applicants must Add and “Confirm for upload” LoR writers in order for them to appear in MyERAS. Applicants must do this for all LoRs, including those LoRs reused by repeat applicants. For detailed instructions on how to add a letter writer and confirm your LoR Authors, please refer to the MyERAS Residency User Guide available on the Tools for Residency Applicants page on the AAMC website.
2. Is there assistance for letter writers or applicants who are having trouble using AAMC’s Letter of Recommendation Portal (LoRP)?
Back to top
[Last update: May 20, 2022]