There are no Step 2 CS rescheduling fees for applicants who cancel scheduled testing appointments more than 14 days before the scheduled test date. Rescheduling fees do apply to applicants who cancel within 14 days of their scheduled test date and those who miss their scheduled test date without canceling.
This policy allows applicants registered for Step 2 CS to schedule their testing appointments early, while retaining the flexibility to reschedule at no cost, with a minimal period of notice. Applicants are strongly encouraged to register early and schedule testing appointments for the earliest possible date. If you have registered or plan to register for Step 2 CS, you should be familiar with the requirements and fees associated with rescheduling a Step 2 CS testing appointment.
- If you cancel more than fourteen calendar days before (but not including) your scheduled test date, there is no fee to reschedule.
- If you cancel during the fourteen-day period before (but not including) your scheduled test date, your fee will be $150 when you reschedule.
- If you miss your scheduled testing appointment without canceling, your fee will be $400 when you reschedule.
Registered applicants can check which test dates are available to them at any time by accessing Step 2 CS Calendar and Scheduling. For complete information on Step 2 CS rescheduling policies, refer to Rescheduling in the ECFMG Information Booklet.
(posted June 22, 2005, updated December 1, 2005, March 28, 2006, December 7, 2006)
It has come to our attention that some Step 2 CS registrants have offered to exchange their scheduled testing appointments for those of other registrants who must take Step 2 CS by specific deadlines. The exchange of testing appointments between applicants is not consistent with the “first-come, first-served” basis on which Step 2 CS testing appointments are offered. It is also highly unlikely to be successful. If you are registered for Step 2 CS, you should know that:
- The Step 2 CS Calendar and Scheduling system does not allow an applicant to reserve his/her scheduled testing appointment for another applicant, nor does it allow the transfer of a testing appointment from one applicant to another. When an applicant cancels a scheduled appointment, the appointment returns to the pool of available testing appointments where it can be claimed by other registrants.
- At any given time, there are many applicants registered for Step 2 CS who may be attempting to schedule or reschedule testing appointments. It is common for appointments that become available to be claimed immediately by another applicant.
- The Step 2 CS Scheduling Email Notification System allows registered applicants to indicate their preferences for test dates and centers. When a testing appointment is canceled, all applicants participating in the email notification system who have expressed a preference for this date/center are notified immediately by email.
The best way for registered applicants to monitor the availability of testing appointments is to indicate their preferences for dates/centers using the pilot Step 2 CS Scheduling Email Notification System. To indicate your preferences, access Step 2 CS Calendar and Scheduling, and follow the link “Add/Edit Scheduling Email Notifications.”
For detailed information on policies and procedures related to Step 2 CS scheduling and rescheduling, refer to the ECFMG Information Booklet and USMLE Bulletin of Information.
(posted November 21, 2006, updated December 7, 2006)