The USMLE program is offering free practice sessions for a limited time. Practice sessions, normally administered for a fee at Prometric Test Centers, will be available to a limited number of individuals at no cost on or before January 31, 2018. These free sessions are being made available at both domestic and international Prometric Test Centers. This is a great opportunity to experience the process and pacing of exam day while continuing to learn the important information that is available to you.
Interested examinees should read the full announcement on the USMLE website for information on eligibility requirements and how to register for a practice session.
Updated practice and informational materials for the Step 3 examination have been posted to the USMLE website. The Step 3 content outline and test specifications have not changed; however, sample practice items have been refreshed with new materials, and the number of practice items has been increased slightly.
Examinees planning to take a Step 3 examination should read the following materials and practice with the updated sample items:
- Tutorial and Practice Test Items for Multiple-Choice Questions and Primum Computer-based Case Simulations (CCS)
- USMLE Step 3 Sample Items booklet (PDF)
- USMLE Step 3 Content Description and General Information booklet (PDF)
- Animated demonstration of the Primum CCS examination
- Feedback for CCS Practice Cases
- CCS FAQs (New!)
Examinees should monitor the USMLE website for the latest information.
If you need to receive Step 3 scores before March 28, 2018 it is recommended that you take the exam no later than December 31, 2017.
Most Step 3 scores are reported within 4 weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test beginning the week of January 15, 2018. The target date for reporting Step 3 scores for most examinees testing the week of January 15 through late February will be Wednesday, March 28, 2018.
Examinees should read the full announcement on the USMLE website.
ECFMG expresses its sympathy and concern for everyone impacted by Hurricane Irma. We are closely monitoring the situation. We are aware of the potential disruptions Hurricane Irma and its aftermath may cause for IMGs, and for medical schools and school officials, in using ECFMG’s programs and services. We stand ready to assist in overcoming such disruptions.
Applicants for ECFMG’s programs and services who are affected by this event, and require assistance, are encouraged to contact Applicant Information Services by phone at (215) 386-5900 (9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Eastern Time in the United States, Monday through Friday), or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For updates on the impact of weather on United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®) administrations, please go to the Prometric website (for Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3) or to the CSEC website (for Step 2 CS).
Officials from medical schools affected by Hurricane Irma are encouraged to contact email@example.com with any questions, or to let us know how this event is impacting you and your school. If there is messaging you would like us to convey when we receive inquiries about your school, ECFMG will assist.
Scores for most Step 3 examinees testing January 16, 2017 through late April 2017 will be available on May 3, 2017, one week earlier than previously announced.
A short video designed to help examinees interpret the USMLE score report, and understand decisions and actions that can be taken based on exam performance, is available on the USMLE website.
The video is part of a USMLE Program effort to address frequently asked questions from examinees and others about the USMLE examination process. Additional videos will be forthcoming.
Examinees should monitor the USMLE website for the latest information
Updated practice and informational materials for the Step 3 examination have been posted to the USMLE website. These materials reflect new features described in a previous announcement.
Examinees who plan to take a Step 3 examination on or after January 16, 2017 should read the materials and practice with the updated sample items and cases. The materials include:
- Downloadable practice test materials, with tutorials
- Feedback for Step 3 CCS practice cases
- USMLE Step 3 Sample Items booklet (PDF) – the updated version will be available December 2, 2016
- USMLE Step 3 Content Description and General Information booklet (PDF) – the updated version will be available December 2, 2016
Enhanced security policies will take effect in all U.S. Prometric test centers beginning October 15, 2016. The purpose of the enhanced security procedures is to inspect for camera devices that could be used to capture exam content.
USMLE Step 1, Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK), and Step 3 examinations are administered at Prometric test centers.
Beginning October 15, 2016, Prometric center administrators will conduct stricter inspections of any and all eyeglasses, jewelry, and other accessories.
- All examinees will be required to remove eyeglasses for close visual inspection by the test center administrators. These inspections will take a few seconds and will be done at check-in and upon return from breaks.
- Jewelry, except for wedding and engagement rings, is prohibited.
- Hair accessories are subject to inspection. Examinees should not wear ornate clips, combs, barrettes, headbands, and other hair accessories. An examinee wearing any of these items may be prohibited from wearing them in the testing room, and asked to store such items in their locker.