Effective April 15, 2021, all international medical graduates (IMGs) who were not certified by ECFMG as of that date must meet the current requirements for ECFMG Certification, regardless of what the requirements were at the time they initially applied to ECFMG. This means that ECFMG no longer accepts former examinations for the purpose of ECFMG Certification and individuals are no longer exempted from the current requirements for Certification. The following former exams are no longer accepted:
- ECFMG Examination;
- Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX);
- Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE);
- Foreign Medical Graduate Examination in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS);
- NBME Part I and Part II; and
- ECFMG Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA).
This change does not impact IMGs who already have been certified by ECFMG based on former exams. The Standard ECFMG Certificates of such individuals remain valid.
Current Examination Requirements
- To meet the medical science examination requirement for ECFMG Certification, applicants must pass Step 1 and Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) of the United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE®).
- To meet the clinical and communication skills requirements for ECFMG Certification, applicants must:
- Complete an ECFMG|FAIMER Pathway, OR
- Have a passing performance on the former Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) component of USMLE that is valid for ECFMG Certification.
Time limits and other rules apply to the examination requirements for ECFMG Certification. Please refer to the ECFMG Information Booklet for more information.