Important Information for 2021, 2022, and 2023 Pathways Applicants
If you submitted a Pathways application to meet the clinical and communication skills requirements for ECFMG Certification for the 2021, 2022, or 2023 Match, please see below for important information based on the status of your application and to determine what steps you may need to take if you wish to participate in the 2024 Match.
If your application was approved:
- If you wish to participate in the 2024 Match, you will not be required to reapply to the Pathways. Your previously accepted Pathways application will remain valid for the 2024 Match and for entry into U.S. GME programs in 2024.
- If you are certified by ECFMG based on a Pathway for the 2021 or 2022 Match and your ECFMG Certificate lists an expiration date in 2021 or 2022, this expiration date has automatically been extended to December 31, 2024. This is the date through which your certificate remains valid for entry into a U.S. program of graduate medical education (GME) accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Please present this official letter with your ECFMG Certificate as confirmation of the extension. You will not receive a new ECFMG Certificate reflecting the extended expiration date.
- Once you successfully complete the first year of an accredited U.S. GME program, your certificate is no longer subject to expiration. Information on validating your ECFMG Certificate indefinitely upon completion of the first year of training will be forthcoming.
- If you do not enter an accredited U.S. GME program by the time your ECFMG Certificate expires, and you wish to enter an accredited U.S. GME program in the future, you will be required to revalidate your ECFMG Certificate using the process required at that time. Information on how to revalidate an expired ECFMG Certificate will be provided in time for applicants to complete the revalidation process prior to the expiration of the certificate.
If your application has been rejected:
- If you wish to participate in the 2024 Match, you will need to reapply to a Pathway. There are updated Pathways requirements for 2024. Please review all requirements for ECFMG Certification for the 2024 Match, including general eligibility requirements for all Pathways, and the specific eligibility and application requirements for the individual Pathways, to determine your eligibility and application requirements.
- If you reapply to a 2024 Pathway, you will be required to pay the Pathways application fee and submit all required documentation, even if you already submitted the documentation for your previous Pathways application.
- You can apply to a 2024 Pathway using the Application for Pathways for ECFMG Certification for 2024 Match.
The preceding information is current as of May 17, 2023 and is subject to change. Please visit the ECFMG website frequently for updates regarding these requirements.
Back to top