Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (EVSP)


The ECFMG|FAIMER Exchange Visitor Sponsorship Program (EVSP) continues to review and process J-1 visa sponsorship applications, including those of foreign national physicians seeking initial sponsorship to enter the United States to begin a training program on July 1, 2020. Please submit your applications as early as possible to help prevent delays. We will contact Training Program Liaisons (TPLs) and current J-1 physicians about any new developments, including updates on visa issuance at U.S. embassies and consulates, directly via e-mail and will post updates on our website. ECFMG|FAIMER is actively pursuing solutions to support training programs and foreign national physicians through this challenging time.

For J-1 Applicants/Physicians

J-2 Dependents

ECFMG is authorized to sponsor the spouse and/or unmarried minor children of a J-1 physician for entry to the United States under J-2 visa status. A minor child is defined as one under the age of 21. Parents, brothers, sisters, other family members, and nannies are not eligible for sponsorship as J-2 dependents.

J-2 dependents must:

  • Maintain a valid passport
  • Secure and maintain required health and accident insurance as detailed on the Mandatory Insurance page
  • Notify ECFMG of plans to permanently depart the United States prior to the J-1 spouse/parent or change U.S. visa status
  • Live with the J-1 physician (at the same U.S. residential address)
  • Adhere to all U.S. laws

Please see the instructions sheet for more information on how to acquire J-2 status once Form DS-2019 has been issued by ECFMG.

J-2 Dependent FAQs
Expand All | Collapse All

1. How can I request J-2 sponsorship for my dependent(s)?

J-2 dependent sponsorship can be requested:

  • at the time of application for J-1 sponsorship
  • OR at any time via the J-1 Visa Sponsorship section of OASIS, under the “Dependents” tab.

A copy of the dependent’s passport biographic page and evidence of the family relationship (i.e., marriage, birth, or adoption certificate) with English translation, if applicable, must be uploaded in support of any dependent sponsorship request.

2. How does my dependent obtain J-2 visa status once a Form DS-2019 has been issued by ECFMG?

Information on acquiring J-2 status once a Form DS-2019 has been issued is available at

3. What are the medical and health insurance requirements for J-2 dependents?

All J-1 physicians and accompanying J-2 dependents are required to secure comprehensive health insurance effective on the program start date indicated on the Form DS-2019 and maintain coverage for the full duration of stay in the United States in J status.

Further information is available on the Mandatory Insurance page.

4. Are J-2 dependents allowed to work or apply for a Social Security number?

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document “EAD” card through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once an EAD card is issued, the J-2 dependent is then eligible to apply for a Social Security number through the Social Security Administration. If employed, income derived from the spouse’s employment cannot be used to support the J-1 physician and/or the family.

5. Are J-1 exchange visitors required to complete validation of arrival documentation for J-2 dependents?

J-1 physicians are not required to notify ECFMG of newly arrived J2 dependents. However, they are required to report to ECFMG the permanent departure of any and all J-2 dependents if the dependents depart the United States prior to the J-1 program’s completion or otherwise no longer require J-2 status such as in cases of divorce.

Back to top