Building Connections with Ethnic Physician Organizations
Networking and building connections are crucial elements of success in any profession, and the medical field is no different. Whether you are just out of medical school and exploring what specialty might be the best fit for you or whether you are a seasoned medical professional seeking to advance in your field, networking can open up new opportunities.
Recognizing the importance of networking as a resource for international medical graduates, ECFMG has compiled a list of ethnic physician organizations for you to explore. From the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin (AAPI) to the Vietnamese American Medical Association (VAMA), it is likely that there is an organization that’s a fit for you.
Getting involved with an ethnic physician organization is a great way to:
- meet a potential mentor or volunteer to mentor a younger physician or medical student;
- learn about possible scholarships;
- seek job openings;
- give back by participating in volunteer experiences or charitable giving; and
- join a community of professionals with a common focus.
If you are looking to build connections and draw on the unique strengths of your culture and background, you may want to learn more about the Network of Ethnic Physician Organizations (NEPO).
NEPO is a coalition of more than 40 ethnic physician organizations in California that strives to:
- develop strategies for building the capacity of ethnic physician organizations;
- address diversity and cultural competency in the health care workforce;
- identify young physicians that it can encourage to become involved in ethnic physician organizations; and
- much more.
NEPO Chair Margaret Juarez, MD
According to NEPO Chair Margaret Juarez, MD, “The Network of Ethnic Physician Organizations (NEPO) acts as a bridge between ethnic physicians and the communities that they serve. NEPO serves as a forum to create an empowered, unified voice aimed at reducing health disparities and improving health care access in underserved communities.”
What are you waiting for? Check out the benefits of networking and learn how you can give back too.
Are you involved with an ethnic physician group that is not listed? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with details so we can keep our list current.