Information on Closure of Hahnemann University Hospital
The closure of Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia has broad and significant implications for graduate medical education and health care. ECFMG has focused its efforts on assisting the international physicians in training at Hahnemann under ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship. The following selected resources may be helpful to Hahnemann's residents and fellows.
- Hahnemann Closure: Release of Residents/Fellows from Contracts, July 20
- Hahnemann Closure: Information on GME Funding for Hahnemann Residents and Fellows, July 5
- ECFMG Statement on Closure of Hahnemann University Hospital, June 28
ECFMG Case Manager for Residents/Fellows
Hahnemann residents/fellows sponsored by ECFMG in J-1 visa status may contact ECFMG with questions and concerns:
Tracy Wallowicz, Director, EVSP and Compliance: 215-823-2120 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ombudsman for Residents/Fellows
Suzanne Koenig, the patient care ombudsman, also has been appointed to oversee the interests of Hahnemann's residents and fellows. To bring issues to the attention of the ombudsman, residents and fellows may contact the following individuals at the law firm of Greenberg Traurig, LLP.
- Dennis Meloro: 302-661-7395 or email@example.com
- Nancy Peterman: 312-456-8410 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bankruptcy Court Filings
- The Court's Notice to Residents, issued July 19, provides a timeline and information for the proposed sale of Hahnemann's residency program assets.
- ECFMG, in conjunction with the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), filed a petition on July 15 as part of its efforts to support the residents and fellows in training at Hahnemann. The petition, which was successful, requested that the court appoint an ombudsman to represent trainees' interests.
- All court filings related to the Hahnemann bankruptcy case can be accessed here.
ECFMG Commentary to Media
- Philadelphia hospital bankruptcy sent hundreds of young doctors scrambling*, Politico Pro, August 6
- For Some Hahnemann Medical Residents, There's an Added Stress: Potential Deportation, The Philadelphia Inquirer, July 15
- Hahnemann Plans to Transfer Most Medical Residents to Tower Health Hospitals, WHYY, July 10
- Hahnemann Closing Puts Foreign Doctors-In-Training in a Serious Bind, Philadelphia Business Journal, July 5
- Hahnemann's Closure Will Leave Medical Residents Scrambling, WHYY, July 3
Information from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- ACGME Continues to Support Hahnemann Residents and Fellows, July 25
- ACGME Supports Hahnemann Residents in New Court Filing, July 15
- ACGME Submits Court Filing in Support of Hahnemann Residents, July 9
- Hahnemann University Hospital Closure, July 2
Information from AAMC
- Hahnemann to Close Programs, Release Residents with Medicare Funding, July 25
- What Residents Need to Know About the Hahnemann University Hospital Closure, July 18
- What Happens When a Teaching Hospital Closes?, July 12