CertificationAbout ECFMG Certification | New to Certification? | IMGs in the United States | Definition of an IMG | How the Certification Process Works | Requirements for Certification | 2023 Accreditation Requirement | Reference Guide for Medical Education Credentials | Eligibility for Examination | Verification of Credentials | Certification Verification | ECFMG Medical Credentials Reference Library
2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement
Implementation of the 2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement has been moved to 2024. See our announcement. This section will be updated in the coming weeks with further information.
An overview of ECFMG's 2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement is available in the following languages as a PDF document.
In the News
- Advancing the Quality of Medical Education Worldwide: ECFMG’s 2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement (Journal of Medical Regulation, February 2020)
The documents below provide further information about the rationale for the 2023 Accreditation Requirement and how the requirement has developed since 2010.
Read Past Progress Updates
- Process for Recognition of Medical School Accrediting Agencies Now Available
(February 13, 2015)
- Two Milestones Reached in 2012 in Development of System for International Accreditation
(March 13, 2013)
- Pilot Advances ECFMG’s Efforts to Stimulate International Accreditation (July 5, 2012)
Read the 2010 Press Release
- ECFMG to Require Medical School Accreditation for International Medical School Graduates Seeking Certification Beginning in 2023 (September 21, 2010)
Read the Background Document
- Requiring Medical School Accreditation for ECFMG Certification—Moving Accreditation Forward (September 21, 2010)