CertificationAbout ECFMG Certification | New to Certification? | IMGs in the United States | Definition of an IMG | How the Certification Process Works | Requirements for Certification | 2023 Accreditation Requirement | Reference Guide for Medical Education Credentials | Eligibility for Examination | Verification of Credentials | Certification Verification | ECFMG Medical Credentials Reference Library
2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement
An overview of ECFMG's 2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement is available in the following languages as a PDF document.
The documents below provide further information about the rationale for the 2023 Accreditation Requirement and how the requirement has developed since 2010.
Read Past Progress Updates
- Process for Recognition of Medical School Accrediting Agencies Now Available
(February 13, 2015)
- Two Milestones Reached in 2012 in Development of System for International Accreditation
(March 13, 2013)
- Pilot Advances ECFMG’s Efforts to Stimulate International Accreditation (July 5, 2012)
Read the 2010 Press Release
- ECFMG to Require Medical School Accreditation for International Medical School Graduates Seeking Certification Beginning in 2023 (September 21, 2010)
Read the Background Document
- Requiring Medical School Accreditation for ECFMG Certification—Moving Accreditation Forward (September 21, 2010)