CertificationAbout ECFMG Certification | New to Certification? | IMGs in the United States | Definition of an IMG | How the Certification Process Works | Requirements for Certification | 2023 Accreditation Requirement | Reference Guide for Medical Education Credentials | Eligibility for Examination | Verification of Credentials | Certification Verification | ECFMG Medical Credentials Reference Library
2023 Medical School Accreditation Requirement
Four-Phase Implementation Plan
Since the announcement in 2010, ECFMG has developed a transition plan for the implementation of the 2023 Accreditation Requirement. This four-phase plan will provide medical students, graduate medical education (GME) program directors, and others with information to guide their decision making.
Phase 1 – 2018: New ECFMG web resource to help students make better decisions on medical school selection
- Guidance for students on selecting a medical school.
- Link to accrediting agencies recognized by WFME.
- Visit the new resource at www.ecfmg.org/medschoolselection.
Phase 2 – 2020: World Directory of Medical Schools includes accreditation status of medical school
- Medical schools that are accredited by an agency recognized by WFME will be indicated in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
Phase 3 – 2021: ECFMG reports include information on accreditation status of medical school
- ECFMG physician reports to GME programs, employers, state boards, and medical regulatory authorities will include a statement on the accreditation status of the medical school. For example, “This medical school was accredited in [Year] by an agency recognized by WFME.”
Phase 4 – 2023: Eligibility for ECFMG Certification is tied to accreditation status of medical school
- Individuals will be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification if their medical school is accredited by an agency recognized by WFME.