ECFMG-sponsored J-1 visa status requires full-time participation in an approved program of graduate medical education. In addition to meeting the academic standards required to progress through residency, J-1 physicians must maintain valid visa status in order to continue to train at U.S. teaching hospitals. Maintaining status requires, but is not limited to, the following:
- Possession of required documents/records confirming visa status:
- Form DS-2019 reflecting an active SEVIS record
- I-94 record with “Duration of Status” (D/S) or future end date
- Valid, unexpired passport
- Mandatory residential address reporting
- Report U.S. residential address to U.S. government (Form AR-11) within 10 days of any move.
- Report valid contact information to ECFMG via OASIS. It is the responsibility of all J-1 physicians to maintain and update contact information throughout the course of training. ECFMG uploads all address changes to SEVIS.
- Notification to ECFMG of any proposed changes to the approved training program or curriculum, including location, course of training, leaves of absence, termination, remediation, etc.
Failure to comply with the requirements of J visa status can seriously impact an individual’s eligibility for a future U.S. visa application or stay.
Back to top