Program and Institutional Requirements
Programs seeking to enroll J-1 physicians in non-standard training must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate ABMS member board endorsement for the specific advanced subspecialty discipline. A listing of pre-approved disciplines is available on this website; all other disciplines must provide written board support.
- Provide the institution’s Graduate Medical Education Committee (GMEC) endorsement for the specific advanced training program. (See the GMEC & Parent Program Verification Statement.)
- Submit a GMEC-approved program description on institutional letterhead signed by the program director. Additionally, all program descriptions must include:
- program goals and objectives
- prerequisites for admission
- program syllabus, including required rotations, didactic session, methods/interactions, clinical procedural requirements, scholarly activity, etc.
- description of training supervision and evaluation
- duration of training, including optional years or alternative tracks
- Confirm that the teaching hospital offering the non-standard training is in full compliance with ACGME institutional requirements and that all the accreditable programs are in good standing with ACGME. (See the GMEC & Parent Program Verification Statement.)
- Verify that J-1 physicians are prohibited from billing directly for services rendered.
Note: The name of the non-standard training program listed on all application materials must consistently match the exact name of non-standard discipline as endorsed by an ABMS member board.
Back to top